Saturday, May 1, 2010

First few weeks in Gimhae

I'm sitting in my apartment on a lazy Sunday. The sun is out and shining and I'm about to hit the shower and do some grocery shopping. I wanted to let you all know a little bit about what I've been up to the last few weeks though. It really shouldn't take long because mostly I've been at work.

Wonderland is a pretty fun place to work. I enjoy all of my coworkers and most of my students. Some are just a bit of a challenge. I work most days from about 10:30am to 7:30pm although I tend to go in early just to get comfortable and be sure I have everything ready for the day. I'm teaching kindergarten, elementary, and middle school. I have 2 kindergarten classes for and hour each and then the elementary and middle school students for 40 minutes per class. There are days where I don't know how I'll fill those times but most days I actually have to give some homework to the older students. My coworkers are all fun and we've hung out on the weekend and evenings.

The most challenging thing has been getting used to living alone again. I'm used to living with people so I tend to have the TV on or some music playing in the background just to make it feel like other people are here. The language barrier also makes for a bit of a hurdle when going grocery shopping. I'm hoping to find a Korean cookbook so I have a better idea of what to buy at the grocery store. Ovens aren't very common here. Most people have a gas stove top and a small fridge. Some have the luxury of a microwave or small toaster or convection oven but I'll have to wait until I've made a bit more money before I can afford those.

I went for a hike with some friends the last two weekends. It's been really nice to get outside and actually experience spring again! It's been a long time since I've had the hope of summer since I spent last summer in South America where it was actually winter. It's getting pretty humid already and from what I hear it is only going to get worse. I grew up in Minnesota, though. I can handle it.
I promise to get some pics up soon!

Hope all are well!
Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment